Thursday, July 15, 2010

Happy Birthday

Yesterday, you turned one. I have a habit of being late now; I never used to be late. So much going on and you fill my days in ways I never imagined.

We had a good day. After daycare, I took you for ice cream and you had your first turtle sundae. You loved it! Then we went to the book store, and you picked out a book. Then we went to the doctor for your one-year check up. You weigh 20 lbs 4 ounces and you're 33 inches long. You were great for your shots, but the last one was painful and I saw the same face I saw when you entered this world a year ago.

I love you so much. I tear up thinking about my love for you and that moment at 12:09 on 7/14/09 when you arrived. Nothing was as I imagined it--your birth, the moments after, the weeks after--and those who know the full details of your birth story know what I mean by that.

Even though things did not go as expected, today, looking back, I cannot ask for more. You are the sweetest, most fun, and energetic little boy--and you are mine. I want life to be grand for you. When we were looking at the map today, pointing out all of the places that I've lived and traveled, I thought of your future and the map you will fill with tiny pins, as I have, and I hope it's full of tiny colored dots. Remember that the world is wide open. Go there. Be carefree.

Happy birthday. This is the beginning of an incredible journey. You entered the world on a pillow, as your Aunt Jo-Jo says; may you embrace life as enthusiastically as you entered it.

No comments:

Post a Comment