Thursday, September 24, 2009

Vowel Sounds

To get you to smile, all I have to do is make vowel sounds. You also love when I say,"the cow goes MOO!" When I do this, you smile and giggle and coo back. This interaction is the highlight of my day, and it makes me so excited for you to talk.

As a poet, I find these language games so interesting--watching you develop words is more exciting to me than seeing you controlling your head. I read you poetry every day. So far, I've introduced you to some of my recent favorites: the German poet Celan; the Greek poet Ristos; and the Serbian poet Popa. I hope you're sucking in words, listening to the sounds they make, feeling the cadence and the caesura between my breaths.

To utter. To make music with words. To hear your voice. To hear your voice...

1 comment:

  1. Kids do like poetry. Although, I find that, in our house, the poetry is more likely funny poems by Shel Silverstein or nursery rhymes. I wonder, how many kids, these days, actually have heard the classic nursery rhymes.

    ReplyDelete